RE: ACAD Protection

Mark,

Obviously we've strayed from the original thread (how to copy protect
AutoCad files), but on the subject of industrial clients who stipulate that
they will retain the copyright to drawings produced for them, and the
question "When a client retains the copyrights to the drawings exactly what
do they own?  Does the copyright include to the individual details or is it
limited to the arrangement of details?":

It is always difficult to guess how courts might rule if a dispute arises,
but in my experience it is not the individual details that industrial
clients are interested in but what the overall drawings might reveal about
their overall production capacities and processes.  They don't want to see
drawings of their plants and or processes being passed around or sold to
their competitors.  Individual structural details are generally more or less
generic.  I suppose one could indicate that particular typical details are
copyrighted by the engineer and used with permission on the drawing
(copyright held by the client).  However I haven't seen or heard of any
dispute involving structural typical details involving major industrial
clients.

Ed Marshall, PE