Re: Structure Magazine Questions

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:
Can a nail in tension (pull-out force) be used to provide lateral stability
to a
compression flange of a wood beam?

I would not recommend it.  Since lateral stability directly affects the
bending capacity of a beam, I would want to make sure it is dependable.
Nails in withdrawal rely on the friction of the wood/steel to hold it in.
Wood shrinks, which can reduce the friction force between the nail and wood.
I would find a better way to brace the beam.  I'm sure one could be found
without much difficulty.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org