Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Column Splice Locations[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "SEAOC (E-mail)" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Column Splice Locations
- From: "Gregory P. Luth" <gluth(--nospam--at)klaa.com>
- Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:44:32 -0800
Section 1922.214.171.124 of the 1997 UBC applies to columns that do not resist seismic loads, with axial load between 0.1 f'c and 0.3Po, in which the compatibility moments due to Rw*delta do not exceed the design moment. By reference to 1921.4.3, it appears that this section requires that the lap splices in such columns be located in the middle 1/3, a significant departure from previous codes. Is my interpretation correct? Can anyone explain why this provision is not triggered for axial loads less than 0.1f'c (19126.96.36.199) and for members with axial loads exceeding 0.3Po (19188.8.131.52)?
- Prev by Subject: Re: Columbian Earthquake - Any first hand structural assessments?
- Next by Subject: Fw: Column Splice Locations
- Previous by thread: Re: USGS - National Seismic Hazard Mapping Project (Seismic Zones in Texas)
- Next by thread: Fw: Column Splice Locations