RE: Structure Magazine Q: Ftg Settlem't.

A simple criteria for Footing Settlement

 A. First Degree Structural Failure.

   Any settlement that is more than expected or engineered but causes no
apparent damage to
   the building or structure.

 B. 2nd Degree Structural Failure.

   Settlement that will damage non-structural parts of the building or
structure.

 C. 3rd Degree Structural Failure.

   Any settlement that will cause distress to the building or structure
resulting to the
   following :

   1. Cracks on structural members
   2. Deflection of structural members