Re: Structure Magazine Questions

Lynn Howard wrote:

. > Shear walls do not fail in overturning during earthquakes.  Unless
. > liquefaction is an issue, global stability of a wall has never really
. > been a problem.  I have never seen or read about overturning failures of
. > shear walls.  There may be some I don't know about, but I do study
. > actual reports of earthquake failures quite a bit, and I have never seen
. > this issue mentioned.  For those of you who are getting all excited
. > about this statement, I am NOT talking about Geotechnical failures that
. > could lead to overturning issues.

What about the stair towers at the Olive View Hospital in the 1971 San
Fernando EQ?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona