Re: Life span of painted steel

Pardon me for saying so as I am obviously a steel guy, but corrosion is
to a great extent over-rated as a problem with steel...at least as far
as steel in enclosed building structures is concerned. Steel enclosed by
building finishes with no aggressively corrosive function inside, there
really isn't even a need to paint the steel to begin with (this is noted
in Commentary to Chapter M of the AISC Specification). In corrosive
environments, however, as you might find in a coastal exposure or in a
paper processing facility, for example, and in atmospherically exposed
conditions, steel should be protected; painting is one option. One
additional caveat: watch out for details that can trap water, as this is
a severe corrosion hazard.

In bridges (which are not my specialty) it's a different story entirely
as they are almost universally exposed structures and need to be
suitably protected.

Charlie