Re: Life span of painted steel

In 1966, I was in the power plant for Pennsalt (I believe it became
Pennwalt, and then something else) in Wyandotte, Michigan.  I was in both
the boiler structure and the turbine hall.

The drawings for the structure were dated somewhere about 1907.  Steel will
last a long time if you keep it away from weather and corrosive agents and
atmospheres.

Maybe someone in the Detroit area will drive by the old power plant to see
if it's still standing.

Another interesting building to look at would be the Willis Avenue Heating
Plant (Near Wayne University).  I don't know how old it was/is, but the
original lighting in the turbine hall was DC -- not much light, but
interesting atmosphere.

"Deja vu all over again", Yogi Berra,

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561