Re: "C35A" for concrete strength in BS Code

The "C" denotes that the required strength is a characteristic compressive
strength obtained by crushing 150mm cube.

Other designations are : "F" Flexural strength and "IT" Indirect tensile
strength.

The "35" denotes the Characteristic compressive strength at 28 days in
Newtons per millimeter squared (MegaPascalls)

The "P" denotes that it is an ordinary prescribed mix selected from the
tables in BS 5328 (Methods for specifying concrete)

Other designations  are: "SP" Special prescribed mix which is used when the
purchaser specifically states the required proportions of each constituent
of the mix and "D" which is a mix designed/proportioned by the concrete
supplier to meet the required characteristic strength.