Re: Concrete Column Footings

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:
Situation:

I have a 20' concrete column that is only supported by 7'X7'X3' footing.

Question:

  Is it sufficient to use the moments at the bottom of the column for
finding footing bearing pressure, or do I need to add the footing thickness
to the moment arm?

Chris Towne, E.I.T.
ctowne(--nospam--at)newwave.net

No, that would underestimate the bending moment at eh soil surface.
Overturning/bending is about the bottom surface of the footing, not the top
surface/bottom of column.  That is where the soil stresses occur.  If you use
the moment at the bottom of column/top of footing then you need to add an
addition moment caused by the horizontal shear force with a moment arm of the
footing thickness.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org