Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Rockery Retaining Walls

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Go to your local home and garden center will give you a better answer.  Yes,
one/two/three/four man rock means the approximately number of guys needed to
move it.  Personally, I think it has more to do with size of rock than
weight of rock.  The four man rock at my folk's back yard looks a lot bigger
than four person can carry (four of me anyway).  A one man rock is
approximately twice the size of your steel manual.

I don't think it is an engineering term since you can't say the weight of a
one man rock is equal to X pound.

Best regards,

Frank Yang, P.E.
Senior Engineer                                   BERGER/ABAM Engineers Inc
Voice: 206-431-2374                                33301 Ninth Avenue South
Fax:   206-431-2250                             Federal Way, WA  98003-6395
e-mail: yang(--nospam--at)                         

-----Original Message-----
From: Charley Hamilton [mailto:chamilto(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 2:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Rockery Retaining Walls

Actually, I was assuming it was a standardized term & I should therefore
out what *exactly* it meant.  I *assumed* it had something to do with either
the mass (Mrock = 2 or 3 times Mman) or the number of guys needed to move
However, I figured it was something like a horsepower which has been
standardized and has a fixed relationship to other, more well-known, unit

I'd still appreciate a definition if anyone out there knows one, or at least
info as to whether the term is a standard one (not as in ASTM ###-###) but
used commonly in the industry.  Rod didn't include his "figured out"
so I'm still at a loss as to what "everyone else" means by the term.


Charles Hamilton, EIT				Phone:	949.824.8257 (office)
Graduate Student					949.856.2797 (home)
Department of Civil and 			FAX:	949.824.8694
Environmental Engineering			Email:	chamilto(--nospam--at)
University of California, Irvine

> From: "Rod Schenk" <rs(--nospam--at)>
> Subject: RE: RE: Rockery Retaining Walls
> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:15:46 -0800
> [snip]
> Well Engineers, its sounds like some of you are spending too much time in
> the text books and not enough time out in the field.  I live in the Great
> North West and I admit that coming originally from back East that the term
> "One Man Rock" or "Two Man Rock" was new to me. But being as smart as we
> engineers think we are it took about 2 seconds to understand what the term
> meant.