Subject:    RE: RE: Rockery Retaining Walls
Author: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date:       1/13/99 12:11 PM

Well Engineers, its sounds like some of you are spending too much time in
the text books and not enough time out in the field.  I live in the Great
North West and I admit that coming originally from back East that the term
"One Man Rock" or "Two Man Rock" was new to me. But being as smart as we
engineers think we are it took about 2 seconds to understand what the term
meant.  I don't mean to offend anyone but we all must try to think a little
out side the realms of poisson's ratio and Integrations for Virtual Work.
It's no wonder contractors laugh at engineers!  Come on guy's loose the
pocket protectors.  I am not saying we should compromise our design
integrity but we should make a good effort to live and engineer in the real
world!  An engineer gains respect by understanding and working with
contractors, associates and yes, even architects.  One does not gain respect
by quoting some fancy interaction formula or some specifying outrageous
elaborate concrete mix design that increases f'c by 5%.  The only respect I
would give to such an individual is as much as I give to my old University
Engineering Mechanics Text Book - I like to reference it sometimes but I
wouldn't want to drink a beer with it after hours.

.