Re: Concrete Column Footings

Chris Towne wrote:

> Situation:
>
> I have a 20' concrete column that is only supported by 7'X7'X3' footing.
>
> Question:
>
>   Is it sufficient to use the moments at the bottom of the column for
> finding footing bearing pressure, or do I need to add the footing thickness
> to the moment arm?
>
> Chris Towne, E.I.T.
> ctowne(--nospam--at)newwave.net

When you are trying to find maximun soil pressure, you need to include
all loads that are acting on the surface between the soil and the
footing.  In the particular case you mention, you have to take into
account not only the footing weight baut also the weight of soil above
footing.

Mario A. Tioli.  SE.