From: Maria I. Falconi [mailto:maisabel(--nospam--at)ecua.net.ec]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 1999 11:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Shear-off bolted connection

Dear Colleagues,
  I need to find information about a type of bolted construction that
involves bolts that have a spigot at the end of the thread which shears off
at tightening when the required torque is reached.
  Special power drivers are used to install bolts in this fashion.  I need
to find out about purchasing and/or renting these machines.
  I got a hold of a brochure from RTB Tooling (Rapid Tension Bolts) which
talks about these tools but I don't have enough information (no phone
number, etc).
  The description of how the RTB works is as follows:
"After the connection is fitted, the outer socket of the tool applies a
clockwise rotational force to the nut as the inner socket applies a counter
clockwise force to the spline.  When the fastener exceeds the required
tension, the spline end will shear".
  I would greatly appreciate any information on where to get a hold of
suppliers of this type of equipment, in the States or in South America.  I'm
looking at erecting a 10-story steel building with this system (1200 tonnes
of steel involved) and I urgently need to price the purchase or lease of 13
of these power drivers.

Regards

Maria I. Falconi
Guayaquil, Ecuador