RE: Shear-off bolted connection

I don't know for sure, but I believe that Bethlehem does not make the bolts
any more.  But I believe that Ingersol Rand still makes the tool as do other
tool manufacturers.  It's been awhile since I installed them, but I believe
that the twist off bolt is universal and will fit any of the installation
tools.

Another manufacturer is T. S. Bolts and Tools by the Bristol Machine Co. in
Walnut, California 800-798-9321.

On another thread I noticed the DTI load indicating washer.  It too is a
good product, but the iron workers prefer the twist offs because:
    1.  The LeJeune gun is electric not pneumatic.  No long air hose or
compressor.  The electric gun is lighter and the chord is lighter.
    2.  The LeJeune gun is not an impact tool and can be handled with one
hand.
    3.  You can see if the bolt is tight by long distance observation.

The structural engineers generally prefer the DTI's because of the
perception that if in the process of tightening a bolt group, a bolt is
relieved of tension, it can be seen in the gap.  That perception may not be
accurate.  The deformation in the dimples of the DTI is a plastic
deformation.  That is the reason you can not reuse them.

In any bolt "tensioning" process, the bolts in the entire group must be
brought to snug tight prior to final tensioning.  Proper tensioning requires
special inspection to confirm the process.

Regards,
Harold Sprague, P.E.
The Neenan Company
harold.sprague <mailto:harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com>  @neenan.com