RE: California Earthquake Problems

Paul, while I agree in principle with your suggestion to use ground
accelerations as a yardstick, we know from the experience in Northridge
that the more we instrument, the higher the recorded accelerations.  I
was told once that this is because there are a lot of local anomalies in
ground motion characteristics, so the closer we look (i.e., the more
instruments we put out there) the greater the liklihood that these will
be picked up. The earthquake is still the same, so correlations of
ground motion with damage with magnitude are always somewhat suspect.
Unfortunately, in my view, these higher recorded accelerations drive the
code-smiths to ever higher static lateral force coefficients, which
results in lots of money being poured into foundation systems to prevent
buildings from overturning or flying away.

J. Silva