Re: Shear-off bolted connection

It's not surprising that a manufacturer of DTI's would claim
emphatically that DTI's are the best method. But the facts are that any
of the four methods approved by RCSC (the Research Council on Structural
Connections) will provide acceptable bolt installation for pretensioned
applications when used properly.

The four methods are:

	turn-of-nut method
	calibrated wrench method
	alternative design fastener method (such as a twist-off bolt)
	direct tension indicator method

Any of these methods can produce unsatisfactory results if not applied
properly. All can be used successfully if applied properly. Refer to the
RCSC Specification (particularly Section 8 and it's Commentary) for a
discussion of these four methods.

Charlie