RE: Shear-off bolted connection

Bill Keen wrote:

. > I like the twist-off bolts. I've experienced problems with DTIs myself.
. > The biggest problem I've seen is that they "squish" too late in the
. > torque process and bolts break off. Over-tensioning worries me more than
. > under-tensioning. I'd much rather have a bolt tensioned to 50% of proof
. > when 90% was required vs. 110%.

There is/has been a problem with counterfeit HSB's or that the shipment of
bolts had not been properly tested.  Testing of randomly selected bolts from
the shipment received on the jobsite is an absolute necessity.

I think that if a bolt breaks during tensioning while using a DTI, I would
suspect the bolt rather than the DTI, assuming that the proper DTI was used.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona