From: Richard Lewis
Sent: Monday, January 18, 1999 2:02 PM
To: Joyce; seaint
Subject: Anchor Bolts

I am design the anchor bolts for a pre-engineered metal building.  I have
noticed in previous discussions that it appears the preference for anchor
bolts is the use of a headed bolt verses a hooked bolt or a bolt with
embedded plate.  I do not have a good resource on anchor bolt design and
would like some comments on the following:

     What thickness of bolt head should be used?  Is there a minimum
projection width and height of the head or does an ordinary off the shelf
A307 bolt work?

     Is there a minimum length of embedment in concrete you would
suggest,
regardless of what the calculations say?

     Is there a practical maximum length of embedment/bolt length for
A307
which one could easily buy?

     I have designed buildings for almost 15 years now, including quite a
few
pre-engineered buildings.  I have always required the building supplier
design the anchor bolts and never had much of a problem with that
requirement.  This particular building supplier is making a big fuss
about
having to design the anchor bolts, which includes embedment, etc.  Have I
been wrong to require the supplier to completely design the anchor bolts
in
the past?  Prior to getting the calcs, I do not have firm numbers on
reactions to design the bolts myself.  Now, if I design the bolts and the
contractor doesn't like it, does he have a legitimate claim for an extra?

I look forward to your input on this.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org