RE: Shear-off bolted connection

Majid

I hear your concern about the interaction  efffects and do nok have a clean
response but would like to offer the following:

        AISC in the past has taken the position that if a bolt does not
fail during installation
        that you do not need to wory about overstressing it.

       It is likely that the turn-of-the-nut method, which is widely used,
would result in a number
       of highly stressed bolts.  Yet there are not a lot of problems with
bolts failing which in turn
       suggests that this is not a significant problem.

Maybe somebody from AISC can answer this one.

In the mean time I will continue to specify DTI's.

Mark Gilligan