RE: Shear-off bolted connection

Mark,

I thank you for your response.

Your reasoning is your experince which is worthwhile and needed to explain
the  difference between test results and real life performance of bolts.
Having said that, "not failed" is "not failed, yet" to me.  We know that
ultimate loads and earthquake loads are not every day loading conditions so
that we can say the bolts pretensioned like that are ultimately-loaded-test
proven.

So, IMHO, it is unsafe to leave pretensioing of the bolts with the limit of
"not failing during construction".

Yours,

Majid Sarraf
www.uottawa.ca/~msarraf

At 03:18 AM 1/20/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Majid
>
>I hear your concern about the interaction  efffects and do nok have a clean
>response but would like to offer the following:
>
>        AISC in the past has taken the position that if a bolt does not
>fail during installation
>        that you do not need to wory about overstressing it.
>
>       It is likely that the turn-of-the-nut method, which is widely used,
>would result in a number
>       of highly stressed bolts.  Yet there are not a lot of problems with
>bolts failing which in turn
>       suggests that this is not a significant problem.
>
>Maybe somebody from AISC can answer this one.
>
>In the mean time I will continue to specify DTI's.
>

>Mark Gilligan

              ~      ~           ~ ___
                       [_________]-|__)
              __________OO______O__O_O___________________________
                  |==========================================|
                   \               Majid Sarraf             /
                    \             Ph.D Candidate           /
                     \   Department of Civil Engineering  /
                      |        University of Ottawa      |
                      |           Ottawa, Ontario        |
                      |            Canada K1N 6N5        |