Fixed base timber column

I am designing a free standing trellis.  The footprint is about 100ft x
20ft.  The owner wants to use 10x10 timber columns, 10x12 beams with 4x8
lattice at 36" o/c.  The columns are founded on 18" diameter caissons.  The
timber columns are spaced at 14'-0".

The owner would not like to see the typical knee braces to support the
timber frame from lateral movement, and no exposed connections.  I have been
tossing ideas around in my head about how to approach this fixed base timber
column condition.

The ideas I have come up with are:

1. Use a vertical steel plate in the center of the column and bolt through
and plug the holes.  I do not feel to good about this.
2. Embed threaded rods into the concrete either when they pour the caissons
or then drill into the column and install with epoxy adhesive.  Not a bad
solution, but how do I design it.
3. Embed a 2" +- pipe column into the concrete and drill the column and then
bolt through and plug.  Hard to drill into the timber and to construct.

Has any body designed a structure like this and if there is, how did you do
it, what is the best solution.

Thank you in advance.

Thomas Long
Thomas Long Engineering