Re: Fixed base timber column

Isn't this construction similar to a  fence (except the size and configuration
of the members)? Why not build it like one? Use a good grade of outdoor lumber
like cedar for your posts. Embed the verticals in the ground in stone or
concrete to get your fixity. You may even want to treat the embedded end to
increase the resistance to rot. If you embed the posts in concrete, make sure
you detail the top of the concrete to pitch away from the post so that water
doesn't lay against it. You may have to increase the hole diameter to 24" to
totally encase your 10 x 10 columns. Granted this may not prevent the posts from
ultimately rotting out, but how long does the owner expect it to last.......as
long as a fence......or as long as his house?

The other possiblity, is to architecturally incorporate some returns at
strategic locations to brace the trellis. This might also create some additional
interest.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.