Re: Shear-off bolted connection

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Greg Smith wrote:

> For anyone interested in talking with manufacturers about gauging tension,
> it seems to me that (like a guitar string) the tighter the bolt is - the
> higher the frequency it would give off.  I seem to remember an article in
> NASA Tech Briefs about gauging bolt tension with ultrasonics - might be
> worth looking into.

Contact Wayne Wallace at Applied Bolting Technology Products.  He has
conducted experiements using ultrasonic measurements. 800-552-1999

Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1022                          E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu