RE: Fixed base timber column

Trying to convince yourself that you can "fix" a wood member to develop
an end moment ( i.e. keeping the relative angle 90 degrees between the
cassion and the post) can get you into trouble. I had a similar design
problem with 12x12 posts that needed to cantilever up, and what I ended
up doing was using side plates with thru bolts an all four sides of the
post, making the side plates extend a decent distance up the post(more
than 6 or 12 inches), making the plates thick to keep that 90 degree
angle at the base, and adding a triangular stiffener plate, also to help
keep that angle at 90. Remember, the post loads the bolts  perpendicular
to the grain as the base of the post wants to rotate under load. But of
course, all the plates and bolts are exposed......Hope, this helps, but
I would say that if you need to crank a decent moment into the cassion,
I can't see how you could make it work with no visible connection
hardware.

                 Monte Griffiths, S.E.