RE: Cantilevered Steel Beam Construction

AISC has a publication entitled "Cantilever Roof Framing Using Rolled Steel
Beams."  The publication makes comparisons between cantilever framing with
hot rolled sections and simple span framing using Joist Girders.  Please be
aware that web stiffeners are not always required from a strength (web
crippling) stand point.  Most engineers use them to provide stability to the
column.  However, if you are using tie joists at all column locations, with
the bottom chord extended and attached to the column, I would feel
relatively comfortable not using web stiffeners unless needed for strength.
Your call.  As for the cost of web stiffeners, contact your local steel fab
shop.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
Bossier City, Louisiana