RE: Fixed base timber column

Tom,

Use a bigger caisson I would suggest a 24" dia.
1.  Form a 14" dia recess in the center of the caisson all the way through
to the soil below
2.  Place about 12" minimum of clean crushed rock in the base
3.  Install lag bolts in the side of the 10 x 10 timber sufficient to
transfer the moment into the concrete caisson leaving the heads about 1/2"
away from the face of the wood
4.  Place the 10 x 10 into the caisson
5.  Add about 3 inches of rock around the base of the 10 x 10
6.  Shim column to plumb
7.  Grout the space between the caisson and the 10 x 10 which will encase
the lag bolt heads.
8.  Tool a 1/4" wide x 1/2" deep recess around the perimeter of the 10 x 10
9.  After the grout cures, install a backer rod & sealant around the
perimeter

The base should be treated, and the concrete should slope away from the
wood.

The advantages are: drainage at the base to avoid rot, lags can transfer the
forces without relying on bond, lags can transfer the forces regardless of
seasonal wood shrinkage and swelling, and for my favorite reason it is
simple, quick, easy ,and cheap.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company