RE: Italian Seismic Loads

Bruce,

This is an area that is in a  state of flux.  The 97UBC (the 2000 IBC will
be in general agreement) states:
         Fp = 4.0 Ca Ip Wp

Ca is a maximum of 0.66 (reflects bad soil and close to fault)
Ip = 1.0 (but you could make a case for a 1.5 if it is an important piece of
art work)
          Fp = 2.64 Wp

You can see the huge difference with the 1994 UBC.

With good soil and 10 km away from the fault Ca = 0.32
          Fp = 1.28 Wp

There are also adjustments for height of the building and the height of the
floor under consideration in the 1997 UBC.

I would be inclined to use the 1997 UBC.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company
harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com