RE: Italian Seismic Loads

You need to find out what the grade of seismicity is in Venice, along with
what the foundation coefficient e, structure coefficient b and seismic
protection coefficient are. The following is a sample calculation of Italian
base shear from a recent project of ours in Aviano. Aviano is about 1 hour
north of Venice. Our structure was SMRF with concrete shear walls.

Italian Law
Grade of Seismicity, S				9
Seismic Intensity Coefficient, C = (S-2)/100 	0.07
Response Coefficient, R 			1.0 (T0 < 0.8 sec)
Foundation Coefficient, e 			1.0
Structure Coefficient, b 			1.2
Seismic Protection Coefficient, I 		1.0
Seismic Mass, W				Dead Load + 0.33 Live Load
						Dead Load + 1.00 Live Load (Stairs)
Static Load = Fitalian=C x R x e x b x I x W 	0.07 x 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.2 x 1.0 x
W = 0.084W

Dynamic Load:
Spectral Acceleration, a = C x I x R x g x e x b = 0.07 x 1 x 1 x 9.81 x 1 x
1.2 = 0.824 m/s2
Response Spectrum, 	R = 1.0 for T < 0.8 sec
			R = 0.862 / T2/3 for T > 0.8 sec

I don't know if you'll need a structural certification for your project, but
if you do, we work with an engineer in Rome. His name is Maurizio Bettollini.
He's the managing director for SO.IN.CI. and his email address is
soinci(--nospam--at)tin.it. He's a very capable structural engineer that we have worked
with on several recent projects. If you've ever been to Rome, he was the
structural engineer for that building in Parco de Medici that's two inverted
triangles with the steel pipe exoskeleton. You can see it from the road that
runs from the airport to the city.

Your UBC assumptions look conservative since I think Venice would be in the
US equivalent Zone 3. As far as I know, the Italian law does not
differentiate between the seismic coefficient for the building structure and
components. We've found that for most structures, UBC controls. Italian Law
does require you to include a percentage of live load with dead load in
calculation of seismic forces.

Bill Keen