Re: flag post

In a message dated 1/21/99 4:21:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fduarte(--nospam--at)leasung.com writes:

<<
 1. Should I use Rw = 6 or 3?
 2. Any info on how to design the base plate?
 3. Any info on how to design the anchor bolts to take the moment at the
 base?

1. We use Rw=3 for the design of the column (but not the other shear walls.)
2. We use standard steel column base plate design per AISC for the baseplate.
3. The anchor bolts should be designed for the T/C loads from the column
moment.  Usually the slab pours over the baseplate to take out the shear at
the base.  Also, I would recommend longish anchor bolts with uplift plates on
the bottom of the bolts.

Off the top of my head, I would guess that a 3/4" x 12" x12" baseplate with 4
- 3/4" diameter x 24" long anchor bolts with 3/8" x 3" x 3" uplift plates on
each bolts should be fine for a typical garage.

Good luck.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.