Shear wall w/ plywood on both sides

I would appreciate your comments on the following --
When one of the several shear walls in a given line is provided with
plywood on both sides, I have seen that some people consider the double
sided shear wall equivalent to 2 times the actual length of the wall
while calculating unit shear along that line.[i.e. v=V/(sum of length of
single sided wall + 2*sum of double sided wall].  I feel little bit
uneasy in buying this method of calculating unit shears in wood shear
walls. Anybody has experience with this kind of situation? Thanks.

Suresh
Berkeley, Calif