Re: Non Professionals doing Engineering

Jim,  I would have to agree  with you whole heartedly about the problems
of non professionals doing engineering. It a not so funny coincidence
that I recently came up against the exact situation that you
illustrated. We recently were hired to design a retrofit on a series of
long span wood roof trusses that were not designed for snow drift. The
trusses were designed by a local truss manufacturer using a computer
program. No thought was taken as to where the trusses would be located.
In this case the trusses were installed between two long buildings and a
considerable elevation difference. I calculated roughly 125 psf of drift
load where they only considered the code minimum 35 psf uniform. There
was apparently no engineering supervision until after the fact. I would
have to say that this is a very dangerous trend.

Scott MacDonald
Orange,MA