Re: Non Professionals doing Engineering

>Computers don't make mistakes, programmers and
>users do. You may be different, but I have found that I am not very
>good at checking my input for concept, accuracy, applicability, and typing.
An honest man. I've heard a lot of lectures about convergence checks and
checking over source code, but the nastiest bites I've ever gotten were
my own (usually) simple blunders. Like the punch press
episode--everything looked great except my client thought the
displacements didn't jibe with his measurements. Displacement and stress
plots looked fine, equilibrium checked, but it turned out my elastic
modulus was input as 3E6, I'd mixed up 30E6 and 3E7 when I entered them.
Turned out to be no big deal--the client said the difference looked off
by almost exactly 10, and all he really cared about were weld loads
anyway, don't bother re-running.

So I'd quibble with the 'Do the analysis and then it's over,' position.
It's only begun when the numbers come out. That's the time you start
asking all the questions you'd ask if your client presented you with
results sent him by your competition.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw