Re: Non Professionals doing Engineering

Jerome-
CALCULATOR!!!  You trust those dumb things!  Where is my old slide rule?

KNOWING the answer and having a "FEEL" for the answer are two different
things.  But I still think those preaching the concept of don't use a
computer unless you already know the answer are being disingenuous.

There is always a first time for each of us to design anything.  Those
who have designed a particular structure many times in the past may have
the ability to predict the outcome of the structural design. However,
the first few times are new to each of us.

The input and results of a computer analysis should be checked for
"garbage" and to make sure the results conform to basic engineering
principals.  However, putting the restriction of not being able to use a
computer until you are able to predict the outcome ahead of time is not
in my opinion a realistic approach.

Lynn