STAAD III , Problems with Releases

          I noticed the E-Mail recently posted which discusses some
          problems with various releases of STAAD III.  I recently ran
          into a problem with Release 22.3a.  The program was
          recognizing none of the STAPLE commands to aid in
          postprocessing.  When I tried to resolve this issue with the
          Eastern Regional Office (in Maryland) the basic gist of the
          response was upgrade to Release 23.0.  Since we possessed a
          maintenance agreement with REI, I was surprised to learn that
          we didn't have the latest release.  Upon contacting the
          California office we were immediately overnighted Release
          23.0.  Needless to say I wrote a respectful, yet critical
          E-Mail to REI letting them know of this lack of support.

          Upon receiving Release 23.0, I discovered that it wouldn't
          recognize our hardware lock, thus I was E-Mailed a patch
          file to fix the problem.  Once into R23.0, I found that the
          multilinear spring option would not handle multiple joints
          (i.e., with different trib. areas thus diff. spring
          constants) with different spring values for their respective
          curves.  Again, I was E-Mailed a patch file to fix the
          error.

          I think the events above speak for themselves.  I must say
          that after I sent my first E-Mail, which was critical of
          REI, and after I received Release 23, the support was
          top-notch in fixing the errors I encountered.  However,
          beware because the editor in Rel. 23 is frustratingly slow
          and I still didn't get the STAPLE commands to work properly.

          By the way, I was told by REI that Release 23 was the last
          of STAAD III.  Any future upgrade would be through the STAAD
          Pro line.  Additionally, my views are not necessarily
          representative of my company's and your experience with this
          program my be differnt {  good legal jargon :^)  }.

          Robert Rogers, PE
          robert.rogers(--nospam--at)woolpert.com