Re: Non Professionals doing Engineering

>you have no business running a
>computer analysis unless you can predict the outcome ahead of time.
What can I say? If you can predict outcomes, you don't need analysis. I
think what's meant is knowing enough about the physical features of a
problem to figure out--beforehand, with certainty--tests that will show
whether the results are both true and valid.

>And just for the record, computers do make mistakes.
I've run into enough bugs (real bugs, not just software doing what I say,
not what I mean) to reinforce my natural skepticism. And the only way to
find 'computer mistakes' is to be able to test the results against
something you already knew. Which isn't like predicting answers, but
knowing how to sort the wheat from the chaff.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw