RE: Non Professionals doing Engineering

Wow did this subject ever kick up interest, hard held opinions, and strong
feelings toward competence.  As an Architect who does plan reviews I too have
had problems with Architects not doing proper and complete work for structural
concerns and take them hard to task for deficiencies.  Many times the
Architect will hire an Engineer to finish the work they started.

The most important issue is competence, and also knowing when to get
structural engineering services for what you don't know.  At least here in
California we have somewhat "fuzzy" enforcement and language regarding
Engineering and Architecture practice that effectively allows Architects to do
engineering and Engineers to do Architecture.  This is a bit peculiar in
comparison to some states that have tightly worded practice acts.  I would
like to hear from people outside California for how this situation is handled.

Thanks in advance,
James Fruit, AIA,  Branch Manager
Carl Mileff & Associates, Inc.
Building Code Services
4000 Moorpark Ave, Suite 102
San Jose, CA.  95117
Ph 408 248-0566 fax 248-0568  email cmajose(--nospam--at)aol.com