Re: Non Professionals doing Engineering

Well said Barry

With this I just have to throw my two cents in.  I also applaud the person wanting to know how the computer designs for snow drift, or anything else for that matter.  In every computer program are the programmers built in assumptions regarding modeling and behavior that should be understood by the end user. Not all programmers are as adept at structural principles as we would wish.

The problem is not only with computers.  I have often found young engineers and students blindly applying a formula from a book without really understanding the associated conditions and underlying principles on which the "correctness" of the answer rely.

Paul Feather PE