Re: Payment Collection

Dear Mr. Wu:

There are many issues here that need to be considered. What is the nature of
the dispute? Does the client have a valid claim?

What was the contractural arrangement? Fixed fee, hourly, not to exceed? Did
you have a signed contract or a verbal agreement?

Did the fee exceed the client's expectations? Did you make clear to the client
what you would provide and what fee to expect? Did you meet the client's
schedule? Did you discuss additional fee for changes in scope? Did the client
get value for his fee?

Can a compromise be reached? Would the client be willing to pay a reduced fee?
Do you have an ongoing relationship with this client or is he a one timer?

Is your time better spent earning other fees or going after this unpaid bill?
What will be the cost to you to try to collect this bill? Would a court clearly
rule in your favor? Does the client have any money to pay you?

The last thing that you want to do is let it deteriorate into a grudge match.
After you have considered all the above options then you may consider the
options that Jie Lu has outlined below.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.