RE: Soil Pressure

The engineering basis for the inverted triangular seismic pressure is finite
element analysis of the soil structure subjected to certain accelerations.
I'm sure the geotechs in the audience can explain in more detail.  I don't
see how you can consider a uniform load with resultant lower down the wall
as "safer".  Also, I don't see how you come up with 20 pcf - looks much too
low compared to the criteria I've seen from geotechs.

P.S.  Let's be more precise in the terminology - the value in the first line
of your post is the resultant soil *force* per unit length along the wall,
not pressure.