Re: Question regarding best analysis/design software

You will not find a software package that will do all the things in your wish list.  For steel frame building design I would recommend Ram International.  My company has been using the Ram packages for over 6 years with great success.  When we first purchased the program it did only beam design (which I thought was great).  They have since added column and baseplate design and now lateral analysis and code check.  The support is excellent and they are always receptive to changing the program if users say "I want it do this ...".  Another big plus for me is that it is written by engineers.

Mike Sloey, PE
Sverdrup Facilities
St. Louis, MO
sloeyam(--nospam--at)sverdrup.com

From:   Steven P. Osborn, 105422,501
To:     SEAINT, INTERNET:admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Date:   1/26/1999 11:42 AM

RE:     Question regarding best analysis/design software

I am looking for recommendations on the best structural analysis and design
software to purchase.  Ease of use, detailed output, fast processing, and
good support. are obvious criteria.  I am currently evaluating Risa
Technologies, Research Engineers, CSI and Enercalc, RAM International
products.  I am interested in 3D as well as 2D analysis capabilities and
smooth integration with design modules and AutoCAD release 14.  Typical
projects might include complex single story, long span steel framed
structures or multistory office buildings (steel or concrete), combined
lateral load resisting systems (e.g. braced frames and shear walls in same
structure), steel or wood trusses, tilt-up concrete panels, tall masonry
walls, single and combined spread footings, continuous wall footings, pile
cap foundations, cantilever retaining walls, supported concrete floor
slabs/beams (one-way and two-way), concrete columns (square, round,
rectangular), steel beams (continuous and simple span, non-composite and
composite), steel columns and beam/columns, steel connections (moment,
shear-tab, simple), etc.  There doesn't appear to be one vendor that offers
a universal package to cover all types of structural systems.  Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve Osborn, P.E.