Re: Question regarding best analysis/design software

>You will not find a software package that will do all the things in your
>wish list.
That's a very good general statement. Forget user-friendly. The best you
can hope for is gross indifference--like my car. When it does what I
want, it's not being a pal, and when it leaves me stuck in the middle of
a crisis it's nothing personal. Intuitive doesn't apply to software
either. When something _seems_ intuitive, it usually means that I've been
bitten in butt enough times so I think about where I'm sitting without
being reminded. And after I've battled my way up a difficult learning
curve, found all the pitfalls, made plenty of mistakes and spent hours
raving at the turgid docs and the stupid way that features have been
implemented, they're all easy to use. All analysis software has the best
support and the whizziest features--if you don't think so, just ask the
sales rep.

I've gotten pretty handy with two general purpose finite element packages
and used a few others, and I think the only way to get good is to work
lots of problems and don't assume that the first way you did something is
the best way. Ask yourself why an answer comes out one way instead of
another. Cross-check everything. Look for bugs and figure out your own
work-arounds. Don't expect your hot-line support to do your engineering
for you or to have an answer to everything. After you've done the
homework you'll find you have the very best analysis software you could
hope for.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw