RE: Soil Pressure

Dick,

Thank you for your correction of the terminology.

The geotechs may have a better explanation. What I have is just
a simple analysis in the absence of more complex methods.

The 20 pcf was taken original post regarding soil pressure.

I computed that if soil weight is 150 pcf
for a  sandy soil and if a use a g=.134( not .4 from my previous post)
I get 150x.134 = 20pcf  as additional weight due seismic effects.

Seismic coefficients I  get for a four story RC building
in Zone 4 is about O.12

P = 20 pcf x 8' = 160 psf
for invert. triangle, solving Moment at wall base
M= 1/2x160x8x2/3= 426.6 plf
for rectangular,
M= 160x8x1/2= 640 plf > 426.6 plf

Alex C. Nacionales, C.E.