RE: National Research Council vs Local Fire Departments

    First of all, I think you misunderstood an expression: "Loma Prieta
earthquake must *serve as a stern warning to residents* of the Bay Area and
other earthquake-prone areas throughout the United States".  It means that,
given the local seismicity of the Bay Area, we can expect bigger and longer
lasting EQ's to happen.  That's no secret for anyone, the Big One has to
occur, no matter if it strikes tomorrow or within five centuries, (and the
chances are not the same, of course).
    Besides, as Montgomery said, it's better to have a code than nothing.
The code, as you MUST know does'nt avoid the collapse of your structure
after a sever-destructive-design earthquake, it just saves your a**.
During minor EQs you can expect less damage to occur, but that's it.  And
what I pointed out before is clearly said in every code in the world, so as
to avoid misinterpretations.
    As far as the insurance companies is concerned, you live in USA, you got
to know that it's all about money: they aren't giving a service to the
community 'cause they're philantropists, they sell the service and they
can't take chances.

Regards,

Rodrigo Lema