RE: Soil Pressure

Dick,

I used Rw = 10(Concrete Special Moment Resisting Space Frame) taken from our
1992 National Structural Code. The seismic forces  in our code conforms with
1988 SEAOC. I recall that this is 12 in UBC 88. I do not think its a
misprint
maybe our code writers made some minor changes to be safer.

C =2.75 (max. value), can be used for any structure regardless of soil type
or structure period.

Base shear formula, V = ZI(C/Rw)W = .40x1x(2.75/10)W=.11W (to be exact)

May I ask what is the Rw value in UBC 1994? Maybe the formula is different.

Alex C. Nacionales, C.E.
Iloilo City, Philippines