Re: Earthquake in Colombia.

The philosophy behind the Colombian seismic code is pure USA : it
evolved from ATC-3 , UBC , ACI-318 , and AISC. This code was developed
by some very talented engineers , members of the Asociación Colombiana
de Ingeniería Sísmica. The code is periodically upgraded to reflect new
developments in this area, or to enforce stricter restrictions that
could not be imposed when the code appeared (1984). Before the code , we
used ACI-318 and SEAOC recommendations , but this was not mandatory , so
there is a very wide and recent gap on what to expect from buildings.
The greatest problem you will find in collapsed buildings will not be
the quantities of reinforcement , but how the reinforcement is placed .
You will be amazed.
The code provisions are supposed to be applied in ordinary construction
, but there is a lack of people qualified to evaluate and inspect.Some
towns do not even have an office in charge of this , and you are able to
build whatever you want.
The predominant system here is reinforced concrete with moment resistant
frames. The newer buildings use the combined system (shearwalls - moment
resistant frame) .For newer two or one story dwellings it is brick
masonry with confining columns , and for older construction it is brick
, or bamboo with earth

The predominant failures in buidings : beam-column joint deterioration ,
brought by inadequacy of reinforcement . In one story dwellings , there
are not enough masonry panels to resist lateral load , so they suffer
from absolute instability due to quicq failure of the wall panels , wich
usually support heavy roof loads and untreated wood structures.