Stamping Calculations

I received comments back from a plan checker for a custom house.  The local
building authority sent the plans out to a company that provides a plan
checking service.  I will not mention the building department or the plan
checking company, for reasons, it is in the southern California area.

The house was a type 5 construction and was fairly complicated.  I provided
a very nice set of drawings and calculations, there were some very critical
connections incorporating steel and timber.  The structural comments, I
received only 2.  One I never heard of and seemed ridicules, the plan
checker wanted me to wet seal and sign the table of contents of the
calculations.  I wet stamped and signed the cover of the calculations and
the calculations were bound when they were submitted.  The plan checker
seemed to overlook the real structural issues and focused on the cookbook
method of checking drawings and calculations.  This really bothered me at
first and then I started to think about if this is the case, it scares me.
These plan checking companies could be overlooking the structural integrity
of a building not looking at the whole picture but requiring me to stamp and
sign the table of contents...?

Has anybody come across this scenario, and/or has there been some new code
revision that this is required that I do not know of.

TDL