Re: Stamping Calculations

Yes, Tom, it went one quite a bit in the mid to late 80's.  At one
point, I did a large garage, up here in District 8.0 of LACoPW.  It
was fairly straight forward, but when I came in to pick up
corrections, another PCkr asked me about the size!  Sure, 1,200 sf was
a bit large, but where were my corrections.  At that point, the actual
Plan Checker came to the counter and said, "Oh, I saw those plans were
by you, so I just stamped them.  You do good work."  I was quick to
explain that working alone, I need the plan checker to review my work.
 I might have missed something!
The contract plan checkers are not even that good.  They are under
pressure to get the job out, so they overlook obvious problems.
I'm not surprised that you found that problem.  I guess it does go one
all the time.  One Building Official told me, about defects found in
framing, that his field inspectors are not engineers, so it is the
design engineer's responsibility to assure that his plans are
followed.  I asked him who was going to pay us?  He had no answer, but
armed with that knowledge, I took on inspecting the framing of a
complex house that I calculated.  The owner contracted with me to pay
for each site visit, but afte 3 such visits, he called a halt and,
now, I hear there is litigation over construction defects.  It seems
like we are caught between a rock and a hard place.  Oh, may the grand
days of the Master Builder return, where WE are the builders of the
designs we create!  Then, nobody can complain.

---Thomas Long <tomlong(--nospam--at)silcom.com> wrote:

> I received comments back from a plan checker for a custom house.
The local
> building authority sent the plans out to a company that provides a
plan
> checking service.  I will not mention the building department or the
plan
> checking company, for reasons, it is in the southern California area.
>
> The house was a type 5 construction and was fairly complicated.  I
provided
> a very nice set of drawings and calculations, there were some very
critical
> connections incorporating steel and timber.  The structural
comments, I
> received only 2.  One I never heard of and seemed ridicules, the plan
> checker wanted me to wet seal and sign the table of contents of the
> calculations.  I wet stamped and signed the cover of the
calculations and
> the calculations were bound when they were submitted.  The plan
checker
> seemed to overlook the real structural issues and focused on the
cookbook
> method of checking drawings and calculations.  This really bothered
me at
> first and then I started to think about if this is the case, it
scares me.
> These plan checking companies could be overlooking the structural
integrity
> of a building not looking at the whole picture but requiring me to
stamp and
> sign the table of contents...?
>
> Has anybody come across this scenario, and/or has there been some
new code
> revision that this is required that I do not know of.
>

> TDL

==