Masonry slender wall lap splices

I am looking for input on lap splices in reinforcing of slender masonry walls.
1994 UBC section 2108.2 - formula 8-22 provides for additional lap length in
slender walls. This can go up to 65 bar diameters after dividing by phi.

I cannot find any information to support where this came from and the
necessary uses of it. My masonry bible (Amrhein) doesn't mention this in the
latest and greatest addition.

Any input would be appreciated

Richard Dahlmann, P.E.