Re: Rivets

The reply from Roger Turk, Chris Serroels and Juan Carlos Gray are
partial answers.   The major concerns in this type of bolting
application are fatigue, rust induced packout and multi-plate
connections lacking continuous faying surfaces through the thickness of
the connection..    Your construction specifications should address the
method of removing the rivets ( drilling ....not flame cutting );
inspection of the holes and through-thickness condition of the
multi-plate joint connection to verify that the faying surface is
continuous so that a ?slip critical? condition is possible.     Dr. John
W. Fisher along with numerous Ph.D. students ( Peter Keating at Texas
A&M ) have conducted many fatigue tests on riveted rail road girders for
the Canadian Government.   Lehigh University?s Fritz Engineering
Laboratory and at the ATLSS research facility.    Dr.?s Fisher, Bower
and Keating can direct you to many publications regarding replacing
rivets with bolts.

Best Regards,
Peter  De Vere
JSC
Houston, Texas
281-483-8904 (JSC)
281-461-8940 (H)
peter.p.devere(--nospam--at)jsc.nasa.gov
devere(--nospam--at)asme.org

JOHN W. FISHER
Joseph T. Stuart Professor - Department of Civil and Environmental
Engineering
Director, ATLSS Engineering Research Center
Center for Advanced Technology for Large Structural Systems
Lehigh University
117 ATLSS Drive
Bethlehem, PA 18015-4793
Tele. (610) 758-3535
jwf2(--nospam--at)lehigh.edu

JOHN E. BOWER
Deputy Director - ATLSS Engineering Research Center
Center for Advanced Technology for Large Structural Systems
Lehigh University
117 ATLSS Drive
Bethlehem, PA 18015-4729
Tele. (610) 758-3524
jb0e(--nospam--at)lehigh.edu

Keating, Peter B.
Title: Associate Research Engineer
Program: Major Highway Structures
Division: EDV-Structural Systems
Phone: 409/845-9969
Fax: 409/845-6554
Address: TTI/CE Bldg., Rm. 701E
City: College Station
State: TX
Zip Code: 77843-3135
E-Mail: p-keating(--nospam--at)tamu.edu

Rivets (RJConley(--nospam--at)aol.com, Thu 07:23)
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I am looking at disassembling an old riveted joint bridge truss and
reassembling at another site.  My question is can rivets be replaced
with
bolts?

Thanks
Bob Conley, P.E.

rivets (Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>, Thu 08:13)
To:  seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Yes, in fact the original specs for HSB's was to design the joints for
rivets
and use HSB's on a 1:1 basis.

In current jargon, install the bolts as "slip-critical" connections.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

RE: Rivets ("Serroels, Chris/SAC" , Thu 11:01)
To:  "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

Yes, rivets may be replaced with bolts.  However you might want to
specify
that the hole be reamed and a larger bolt installed if there is any
visible
damage to the material surrounding the hole.  Note that the twist-off
type
bolts discussed in a recent thread have a button head which appears very
similar to that of a rivet.

Chris Serroels
CH2M HILL
Sacramento

Re: Rivets ("Juan C. Gray" , Thu 17:18)
To:  seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I have done this , with no problem whatsoever. You should check the rust
buildup in the gusset plates , to determine what size of bolt to use.
Juan Carlos Gray