Re: New Steel Designations

It is not a rumor. We have been using the new designations for a while now. The
"Hollow Structural Sections Connections Manual" by AISC list the sizes and new
properties.

Please note that the the actual thickness of a 1/2" tube, for example, is not
actually 1/2". It is now listed as 0.465". This is actually what has been rolled
for years but the new manual now gives us the real properties.

Some examples of the new designations are:

Pipe     HSS 3.50 x 0.216   (new designation)      3" Std. Pipe    (old
designation)

Tube    HSS 6 x 6 x 1/4      (new designation)      TS 6 x 6 x 1/4    (old
designation)

I especially like the new designation for pipes. I am trying to get our
architects to use the new designation instead of calling out members like ' 11/2"
pipe '. What does that mean?
Nominal? Actual? Outside Diameter? What wall thickness?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.